World Eating Disorders Action Day is on June 2nd.
As a women’s Counsellor and Psychotherapist who specialises in body image and trauma, I support numerous women in my practice who struggle with eating disorders.
In honour of World Eating Disorders Action Day, I’d like to share some eating disorder resources with you. The information provided is Perth-centric, however, I’ve also included some resources from around Australia and the world.
Eating Disorder Support Services
Following are eating disorder support services in Perth, Western Australia:
• Women’s Health & Family Services:
– Body Esteem Program
– Eating Disorders Resource Directory – a comprehensive directory of professionals in Perth who work with eating disorders.
• Princess Margaret Hospital for Children – Eating Disorders Program (from 11 June, 2018 they will be located at the new Perth Children’s Hospital).
• Hollywood Private Hospital – Eating Disorders Programs
• The Swan Centre
• Bridges Eating Disorder Association of WA
• Butterfly National Helpline
Courses and Workshops
• Body Esteem Program – For women living with Binge Eating Disorder – Perth
• Body Esteem Program – For women living with Anorexia or Bulimia Nervosa – Perth
• Light of the Moon Cafe – online courses by Dr Anita Johnston
• Overcoming Disordered Eating – self guided from the Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI) – online
Families and Partners
• Parent/Partner Education & Support Program(PESP) – Body Esteem Program, Women’s Health & Family Services, Perth
• Eating Disorders Families Australia
• Eating Disorders Support & Skill Building Group for Family & Friends – Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI), Perth
• Feed Your Instinct – An interactive, online tool
• Eating Disorders Carers Help Kit
• Around the Dinner Table
Dietitians who Understand Eating Disorders
Rural & Remote WA
Following is a list of eating disorder support services in rural Western Australia:
• Butterfly National Helpline
• Life Resolutions – Bunbury
• St John of God Healthcare – Bunbury
• Midwest Eating Disorders Support Group – Geraldton
• The Butterfly Foundation – Online support groups for: Recovery, Carers, Siblings
• National Eating Disorders Collaboration (NEDC)
• Butterfly Foundation for Eating Disorders
• Body Positive Australia
• Body Matters
• The Eating Issues Centre
• Health At Every Size (HAES Australia)
• Health Not Diets
• The Mindful Dietitian
• National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) is a USA website.
• 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder – Carolyn Costin
• Women, Food & God – Geneen Roth
• Eating in the Light of the Moon – Dr Anita Johnston
• Brene Brown’s books – they’re not about EDs, but they’re empowering none-the-less.
Podcasts & Vodcasts
Eating Disorder Treatment Centres
• Byron Private Holistic Treatment Centre – Private, residential treatment centre in NSW
If I’ve left any important ED resources out, I’d love you to leave a comment below and let me know!
Contact Toni Jackson to make an Appointment
Toni is a Psychotherapist and Counsellor in Fremantle, Western Australia. She also works in Mundaring, Perth, Western Australia, and provides Online Video Counselling sessions to urban and remote women around Australia and the world (except USA & Canada).
Toni works with women on issues such as self-worth, anxiety, trauma, eating disorders, body image and personal power. She is a certified Gestalt Psychotherapist, with a BA Psychology and a Grad. Dip. Women’s Studies. Toni is a verified HAES practitioner.
If you would like to book an appointment, please contact Toni Jackson.
Phone: 0439 995 302 (Australia only for phone calls)
Photo by Hannah Nelson from Pexels